Mar 4, 2020
John Battelle is a leader responsible for a large part of
inspiring the direction of digital, and the Co-Founder and CEO of
Recount Media. John discusses why he moved from Northern California
to New York, ways we can reimagine fundamental things in society
using data, and why his students at Columbia University give him
great hope for the future. John also shares his thoughts and
opinions about the Facebook Oversight Board and the kind of market
pressures he feels we need to encourage.
- ● John is the Co-Founder and CEO of Recount Media, an author,
founder of seven companies, and an Adjunct Professor at Columbia
- ● The assumptions we had in the early internet did not prevail,
yet instead informed the leaders of the massive tech industries in
the ideals and values that they have today. What is different,
however, is the set of cultural regulations around the rules, and a
community to remind us to filter and stay on a topic.
- ● We’ve got platforms driven by advertising models, which are
two or three steps from human control and driven more by engagement
rather than community regulatory norms.
- ● The Recount is a company reinventing the video format around
the story of politics. They are taking advantage of the original
ideas and creating a powerful new business model around data.
- ● The Facebook Oversight Board is a group of independent
jurors, intentionally diverse but appointed by Facebook, who will
hear cases that come up, and determine whether or not that case
should be adjudicated. It will inform policy, but not set
- ● John explains the market mechanism approach to how companies
may be broken up, and how he is on the side of allowing new
companies to liberate the data of the big existing ones.