Jul 2, 2020
Jeff Ferguson joins the show to talk about how brands are
stepping up to reengineer their digital involvement to rise and
meet the needs of our current climate. Jeff has been on the scene
since the early days of digital as a writer for the trades,
speaker, and leader in agency, publishing, and the client-side.
Jeff and Kevin discuss the role of entrepreneurs to problem-solve
and give hope to the industry, adding the notion that we may even
take some of these practices with us after the pandemic is over.
Then, Jeff and Kevin give examples of the good, bad, and ugly of
media responses from different companies about the pandemic, and
even slip into a fun role-playing segment of the show!
- While a few comic book stores and record shops remain closed in
all ways, Jeff noticed that there were some that adopted creative
strategies to both move inventory and stay connected with their fan
- Some of the new advertising practices we develop in the
pandemic will stick with us in the future and become new ways to
engage with customers in a positive way (a fancy term for making
- Jeff predicts a shift where both smaller and bigger businesses
will realize that including a digital portion of their brand or
services will get them that direct-to-consumer sales channel.
- Also, traditional media channels are seeing the way digital can
rewrite, recut, and reimagine their advertising instead of shutting
it all down, and they may follow suit in this way as well.
- Things are going to be different, but it’s not going to be that
bad, despite what some advertising reports may tell you.
- Indulgent posts from CEO’s and grandstanding with a sales
message both don’t help. What does help is honest and transparent
communication and true care for the brands’ customers and their
- “There will be enduring things that we have learned that will
stick with us.”
- Entrepreneurialism has always been about solving
- “You have to be able to transform and do whatever you need to
Mentioned in This Episode:
Geeky Quote from Matt Damon Mars Movie
“The COVID-19 Shuffle: How Businesses Embraced Digital Marketing to
Survive the Pandemic”
“The COV-Ad Pandemic, And How to Avoid It”
“Rag and Bone’s ‘Why We’re Lowering Our Prices’ Letter is the
Biggest Load of Horsesh*t”
“Creating Civility and Opportunity with Rob Norman”